Pecans, also referred to as hickories, may take long to grow to maturity which forces people to grow them conventionally and ignoring the organic methods. Naturally, pecan trees can take even up to 10 years or even 4 years depending on the maturity. Pecans have a fine texture and flavor which makes them great additions to baked goods. Most pecan farmers prefer to grow them organically by using natural soil mixes, organic fertilizer and pesticides making them as organic as possible.
Conventionally grown pecans may seem advantageous since they grow faster and provide a greater yield. However, there is always the disadvantage of reduced nutritious advantages and contamination from artificial fertilizers. There is a wide-spread awareness for growing organic food including pecans to improve general health. If you are looking to buy some organic pecans head to the home page of this site and browse through our wide range.
Advantages of Organic Pecans
- Since pecans are consumed in baked goods such as cakes or muffins, organic pecans are more preferable. This is because they are more nutritious with a higher concentration of nutrients compared to the conventionally grown ones.
- Organic pecans are an awesome source of natural energy for the body. In 100 grams of organic pecans, there are about 690 calories. This promotes the overall health of the body.
- Organic pecans offer numerous health benefits. For instance, they are a great source of minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants that are useful for day to day bodily functions.
- They also contain fatty acids such as oleic acid. This specific acid help in the reduction of cholesterol in the heart and coincidentally reducing the risk of cardiac disorders or heart attack.
- Since organic pecans contain anti-oxidants, they assist in destruction of any elements in the body known for causing diseases or degeneration of cells. As such they aid in promoting overall good health in the body. They basically aid in the production of phytochemicals which increase the level of anti-oxidants in the body.
- Organic pecans are an advantageous source of Vitamin E which promotes healthy mucus membranes and cell processes in the body. This particular Vitamin also aids in proper skin maintenance keeping it as healthy as possible. They also help improve the general texture of the skin.
- Some of the minerals found in organic pecans include zinc, calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, selenium and manganese which aid in proper bodily functions keeping any individual as healthy as possible. They also improve the internal process and components of the body such as the internal organs or bones.
Organic pecans also make great snacks. You can purchase them with or without shells and eat them without any necessary preparation. As mentioned, they are great additions to various baked goods. They can also be added to numerous dishes making them savory and delicious. Organic pecans that are still in their shells have a long shelf life without any damage. On the other hand, if shelled, they should be kept in airtight containers to prevent any further damage.
Since organic pecans can be grown in backyards by small-scale farmers or in farms by large-scale farmers, they are readily available in numerous grocery stores.