Finding raw unshelled pecans isn’t easy, they are the less common variety commercially available.
However if you enjoy unshelling your pecans yourself, these can be great. Obviously when the raw pecans are left in the shell, it keeps the nut fresh for longer. You can be sure that there are no additives to the pecan and you are getting the full nutritional value.
This bag of nuts is great value. You get a nine pound bag for a reasonable price. Click the picture or click here to go through and see more in the description. Just make sure you check out our instruction below to get the most out of your pecan still in the shell.
How To Eat Raw Unshelled Pecans
Many people love eating pecans. Pecans are eaten in roasted form or in pie recipe. While it is an enjoyable nut, little is known about these nuts preparation.
Like all the nuts, pecans are harvested, dried and shelled before they become ready for consumption. Shelling is an important stage in pecan’s preparation. It is at this stage where the husks are separated from the edible seed. It is important for people who love eating pecans to know all its preparation processes, especially how to shell pecans.
Poor shelling processes wastes food, and at times, contaminates the edible parts with husks. The following is a steps identify the main pecan shelling processes.
- Acquire pecans. They can be purchased from groceries or harvested. Select shells which are of the same sizes and shapes. Good nuts are heavy in the hand.
- Select a method of cracking the nuts. These methods ranges from the use of a simple hammer on hard material to other complex tools. Among the common tools used to crack the nuts are the slip-joint pliers, multipurpose purpose nutcracker and other designed pecan nut cracker tools.
- Cracking the shells. The shells are cracked in halves. Precautions must be taken to ensure that no meat is wasted during the cracking process. If properly carried out, the nut shell will split into two without damaging the meat.
- Separating the meat from the shell. Using a pair of pliers or fingers, the pecan meat is pulled from its shell. It is advisable to encircle the meat open towards the pointed end to avoid breaking up the meat.
- Cracking the nuts. In case one lack tools to split the nuts, the nuts themselves can be squeezed against each other until they crack enough to peel off the shells.
- Cleaning the nut meat. A tooth pick or a narrow nut shell should be used to remove the woody remains on the seeds edges. Without proper cleaning, the woody materials are bitter on taste.
- Seasoning the nutmeat. Once the nutmeats have been cleaned, they need to be put in a colander or a perforated container to dry.
- Storage. After drying the pecans, they should be stored in a sealed container. They can stay even up to a year depending its place of storage. A refrigerator or freezer is preferred in storage of pecans.
It is important for people who constantly consume the nut to clearly understand these process from how to shell pecans to proper storage. Improper preparation of pecans can lead to wastage and poor food.